Board training is a critical element in your organization’s ability to fulfill its mission and serve the community successfully. BoardConnect can help by providing training for your board of directors at a time and location that is convenient for you.
- Consultation with the facilitator to prepare for the session
- Identification of your board’s unique challenges
- A two or three-hour customized training module, delivered to your board at a convenient time and location
- Training slides, handouts and resources covering current trends in board governance
Cost: varies depending on length of session.
Choose from the following training modules, or a combination of these :
- Achieving Excellence as a Nonprofit Board
- Building Your Board
- Committees that Work
- How to Get Your Board to Raise Money
To learn more and schedule a training, call 269.492.3721 or email for more information.
Find Board Members
Step One: One or more representatives from your organization attends BoardConnect’s Building Your Board workshop, which covers important aspects of recruiting new members for a nonprofit’s board of directors, including:
- Recruitment planning, identifying and cultivating candidates and electing new members
- Access to boardnetUSA, a free national online board matching database
Step Two: BoardConnect registers your organization on boardnetUSA. You complete a profile, post board openings and search for trained, motivated community members to serve on your board.
Step Three: For an additional fee, BoardConnect staff can support your recruitment efforts with the following:
- Assessment of current/desired board composition, recruitment methods and overall performance
- Recommendations of potential candidates on boardnetUSA
- Direct facilitation of communication between candidates and nonprofits via email and phone calls
Are you looking for assistance with specific issues on your board?
ONEplace@kpl offers classes targeted to specific issues related to nonprofit leadership and management. They also provide one-on-one assistance to help you clarify and address the issues you’re facing. These services are free. Call 269-553-7899 or email ONEplace@kpl.gov to set an appointment.
Are you looking to connect with others in the community who understand your challenges and can be an ongoing resource for you?
ONEplace@kpl facilitates a monthly Board Leadership Roundtable the first Thursday of every month from 11:30 am until 12:45 pm. These services are free.
Your practical set of tools to use in conducting nonprofit board business including a collection of downloaded templates, forms, and samples that align with BoardConnect trainings and current best practices. Documents are updated annually, or when significant changes are made to laws and regulations governing nonprofit organizations.
An electronic board assessment tool helps nonprofits evaluate and strengthen their boards. This tool is administered electronically, by our partner Nonprofit Enterprise at Work (NEW) in Ann Arbor.
- Gain an understanding of the board’s consensus on key governance issues
- Identify strengths and weaknesses that can influence your organization’s success
- Receive a customized report from a governance expert outlining results and action steps
- Volunteer Kalamazoo is Hiring! May 23, 2013 Libby Ziemelis
- Introducing Carrie Vanderbush, Executive Director of Volunteer Kalamazoo May 17, 2013 Carrie Vanderbush
- Pressing Needs… May 17, 2013 Amanda Reel
- Volunteer Kalamazoo Recognized as Michigan’s Volunteer Center of the Year April 30, 2013 Libby Ziemelis
- Hope Network: Hope On Wheels April 16, 2013 Amanda Reel