Kalamazoo Neighborhood Safety Initiative
Volunteer Kalamazoo received funding to start the Kalamazoo Neighborhood Safety Initiative (KNSI) in January 2011. The Kalamazoo Neighborhood Safety Initiative will address neighborhood safety in Kalamazoo through an engaged, mobilized group of volunteers tackling safety issues. This work will take place year-round, and include focused efforts during National Days of Service. The initiative will work in collaboration with on-going efforts of Public Safety and Neighborhood Associations to increase neighborhood safety throughout Kalamazoo.
The Kalamazoo Neighborhood Safety Initiative is working to change public safety in three neighborhoods: Edison, Eastside and Oakwood. Five community partners were brought together to complete this work, including: Eastside Neighborhood Association, Edison Neighborhood Association, Oakwood Neighborhood Association, Kalamazoo Public Safety and Senior Services.
Past KNSI Day of Service Projects
- Make a Difference Day & WMU Fall Into the Streets 2012
- Global Youth Service Day 2012
- MLK Day 2012
- Make a Difference Day & WMU Fall Into the Streets 2011
- 9/11 Day of Service & Remembrance
- Global Youth Service Day 2011
- MLK Day 2011
- Navy recruits take to the streets
- Biggs|Gilmore Gives Back
How can you get involved? Sign up to volunteer and be a part of the KNSI program. Want to take more of an active role in mobilizing others? Be a Volunteer Leader! We have opportunities for people of all ages, skills and backgrounds.
If you want to be involved in changing neighborhood safety, please send your information to KNSI Coordinator Matt Lechel at 269.492.3725 or via email.
- All the deets on our 2014 MLK Day of Service February 19, 2014 Volunteer Kalamazoo
- National Mentoring Month Opens Doors for Local Volunteers to Influence Young Lives January 17, 2014 Volunteer Kalamazoo
- Calling all Volunteer Managers! January 13, 2014 Volunteer Kalamazoo
- Celebrating our Youth Service Council December 13, 2013 Volunteer Kalamazoo
- Tickets are on sale now for Eat Drink Give, Volunteer Kalamazoo’s annual party. December 2, 2013 Volunteer Kalamazoo